This fall, Jennifer Glover Konfrst will join the School of Journalism and Mass Communication as an assistant professor, teaching public relations and also a few courses within the SJMC core curriculum. We asked Professor Konfrst to share 25 things about herself, so that we could all get to know her better. Here’s the list:
2. I lived in 9 cities before I was 9 years old, and I’ve only lived in 3 since.
3. I am quite unpleasant to be around if I haven’t had a Diet Dr. Pepper for the day.
4. I was born on Christmas Eve. Yes, I sometimes get combo gifts.
5. I recently had a cornea transplant for a genetic condition that affects the cells in my eyes. I was awake for the procedure, so I’m not in a hurry to have the other eye done.
6. I met my husband the basement of G-K the first month of college, and we’ve been married for 17 years.
7. I am obsessed with electoral maps, and my predictions are often pretty solid.
8. I’m pretty nerdy. (See #7)
9. My daughter recently turned 13 and my son is almost 11.
10. When I was 7 I had an emergency tonsillectomy after swallowing a toothpick buried in a handful of snow I had eaten.
11. Our family motto is “Words Matter.”
12. I’ve met nearly all the candidates running for president since 1988, but I was most excited about meeting Nate Silver from fivethirtyeight.com and legendary wrestling coach Dan Gable.
13. My dad was a reporter with the Associated Press for more than 30 years, and I grew up alternately inspired by and cynical about politics. I decided to stick with “inspired.”
14. My favorite place in the world is Louie’s Backyard in Key West.
15. I would give anything to write like Aaron Sorkin or talk like his characters.
16. I’m a sucker for Colin Firth in Pride and Prejudice.
17. I have never in my life lived in a home without a cat.
18. I find The West Wing to be television perfection.
19. My favorite movies are The American President, Broadcast News, When Harry Met Sally, Pride and Prejudice, and Love, Actually.
20. I like pretty much any kind of music. Concerts I’ve attended include: U2, Hank Williams, Jr., Billy Joel, Paul McCartney, The Who, Clint Black, New Kids on the Block, Bush, Matthew Sweet, and Milli Vanilli. I don’t necessarily still like all those artists, but the concerts were fun.
21. I worked in television for 12 years and my kids are the ones with an Emmy.
22. At the 2012 Iowa State Fair I milked a cow and threw a Rubber Chicken (receiving the coveted “participation” ribbon!) – for work.
23. I really, really love shopping at Staples.
24. I am an excellent joke teller. When I remember the punch line I’m even better.
25. One of my favorite quotes is by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson: “I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You’d be surprised at how far that gets you.”