The Drake University School of Journalism and Mass Communication received high marks during the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications Accreditation Site Team visit Feb. 14-15. The Site Team recommended accreditation for the school.
That recommendation will be taken to the Accrediting Committee March 26-27 in Chicago. The Accrediting Council will make a final decision April 29-30 in Portland.
Summary of the site visit team report:
The School has several strengths:
- Focused mission and healthy educational environment – built upon mutual faculty-student respect and high expectations.
- Bright, committed and engaged students who take their courses, cocurricular activities and internships seriously – and who possess great pride in the education they receive.
- Hard-working faculty members dedicated to preparing students for communications positions and to be contributing members of society.
- Strong sequences across the board, including one of the best magazine programs in the country.
- Unwavering commitment to instruction in the fundamentals and evolving media.
- Nimble curriculum that focuses on specialties while ensuring multiplatform competencies.
- Effective and loyal administrative team.
- Exemplary relationships with alumni and external constituents.
- Exceptional public service to the professions and community.
The School has challenges:
- It needs to continue to build upon and enhance its scholarly and creative productivity.
- It needs to make a stronger, more concerted effort to ensure that its students are exposed to instructors who are racial or ethnic minorities.
- It needs to find sufficient financial resources to transform its existing television studio.